"This clinic was designed to be a high complexity institution and, therefore, its doctors are at the forefront. We have the latest equipment, our staff is highly trained and each specialist has the required competence in their work," said Oliva.
Making their practice more competitive for the benefit of their patients, the hospital and the country, high and medium-complexity specialists at Clinica Bicentenario attend medical seminars, in addition to those offered in partnership with universities. Recently, the clinic offered an international course, transmitted remotely, taught by Dr. Rocco Calabrese on cochlear implants.
Among their main services are:
1. Cardiovascular Medicine: with the support of 40 specialists that perform more than 300 monthly echocardiography studies. The clinic also has a laboratory that provides imaging studies, catheterization, angioplasty, implants and biopsies.
2. Emergency Services: this unit is open 24/7 and attends any critical case. There are doctors and technical staff, six exam rooms for pediatrics and 16 for adults; as well as observation, animation and triage rooms.
3. Gynecology-Obstetrics and Maternity: this area has specialized services 24/7 during pregnancy. Contains four pavilions with six pre-delivery rooms and one integrated delivery chamber (SAIP), as well as an emergency unit. It also provides gynecological services. The unit contains one examination room, one monitoring room and a portable ultrasound machine. In terms of personnel, the clinic has auxiliary nurses, midwives and support staff to meet the needs of future mothers.
4. Endoscopic Procedures: available treatment for cystoscopies, long colonoscopies, long endoscopies and prostate biopsies.
5. Neonatal, Adult and Pediatric Hospitalization: the adult unit consists of an intensive care unit, an intermediate care unit and a medical surgical unit. Pediatrics has two areas: intensive and basic care.
6. Laboratories: This unit contains the latest generation of clinical technology, including the 128-channel scanner, which is the only equipment of this magnitude within the Chilean healthcare district. Their clinical staff provides the most integral diagnostics in cooperation with Megasalud laboratories, also part of CChC Network. In neurology, the lab also services sleep, epilepsy and botulinum toxin studies, among others.
Comprehensive Healthcare with Advanced Technology
They have digitized their operations through electronic medical records or RCE, and via Health Information System (HIS) that delivers prescriptions, diagnoses, requirements and medication reviews for inpatients and outpatients.
Through HIS, medical personnel can visit the patient’s history, ensuring to find the latest information online. Meanwhile, its accounting department is also linked to the system through ERP—control and business management—software.
HIS is interconnected with pharmacies, medical suppliers and has the capability of transmitting medical programs towards ISAPRES (insurers in Chile.)
Health Information System Is also integrated with the radiology system (RIS/PACS) and the laboratory system (LIS) which helps the doctor have an online track of the patient's care.
"Clinica Bicentenario started with all these electronic programs, which puts us at the forefront in Chile compared to other hospitals that do not have this advantage," said Oliva.
Social Initiatives Towards Upgrades
Clinica Bicentenario actively participates in community programs, following its commitment of welfare and providing healthcare services to low-income families. For example, employees held an event for families of premature babies in celebration of life on the anniversary of the clinic.
Bicentenario also facilitates care for people with disabilities in agreement with the nonprofit organization Teleton.
Supply Chain, an Important Part in Every Healthcare Aspect
The clinic joins forces with suppliers for a common goal, as these strategic partners teach courses depending on the technology or material supplied, and as part of the value chain of the company.
"We have a very important relationship with our suppliers, both local and foreign, mainly with laboratories that provide consumables and medicines," said Oliva.
Aggressive Goals for 2020
In 2011, the administration had planned two initial stages, the first one ended in 2014 after completing 268 beds within the medical center. However the clinic will reach its full capacity after the second phase is in operation, which would mean the opening of four pavilions more, with the inclusion of imaging units, and adding beds to complete the target of 433. The General Manager estimates this to happen in the next 2-4 years, enabling 165 single, intensive and duplex beds.
"The first thing we must do is to consolidate our growth and position in this market, with public and private insurers, plus some companies. We also have training and staff development courses in order to solidify our quality service," said the General Manager.
Legacy Community Health: digitally enabling patient care
Mediterraneo Hospital: Transforming procurement via tech
Cerner Middle East: the journey to healthcare transformation
The Mental Health Center of Denver: The human side of tech
Kettering Health Network’s strategic digital transformation
LTTS: Healthcare tech to navigate the new normal
Northwell Health: Data-driven transformation in healthcare
MED-EL: digital transformation for quality of life
Leumit Health Services: Digital transformation of patient care
How GE Healthcare has harnessed digital technology to transform itself and the world around it
How Allscripts is driving the future of healthcare IT
Diagnostic Services Manitoba: Providing the results that matter
CHRISTUS Health’s digital transformation reimagines healthcare technology and IT
Taiba Hospital: Patient care with promise
Ottawa Hospital: Transforming health care from the inside out
MyHealth Centre: Quality patient experience
American Hospital, Dubai: supporting collaboration within healthcare
How Manipal Health Enterprises has proven that its abilities match its ambitions
Apollo Hospitals: Personalizing healthcare with technology
How Coordinated Health is disrupting the world of healthcare one specialty at a time