CHICAGO, July 28, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- Four Northwestern Medicine hospitals are recognized by U.S. News & World Report in its 2020-2021 Best Hospitals rankings. Northwestern Memorial Hospital retained its position as the No. 1 hospital in Illinois and Chicago. Northwestern Memorial is also once again recognized among the top hospitals in the country ranking No. 10 on the prestigious Best Hospitals Honor Roll.
In addition to Northwestern Memorial's No. 1 ranking, three Northwestern Medicine hospitals were recognized as Best Hospitals in Illinois and Chicago:
- Northwestern Medicine Central DuPage Hospital ranked No. 8 in Chicago Metro and No. 8 in Illinois
- Northwestern Medicine Lake Forest Hospital ranked No. 9 in Chicago Metro and No. 9 in Illinois
- Northwestern Medicine McHenry, Huntley, Woodstock Hospitals ranked No. 19 in Chicago Metro and No. 23 in Illinois.
"The U.S. News rankings are a reflection of a shared commitment to excellence and is why Northwestern Medicine is consistently viewed as one of the best health systems in the country," said Dean M. Harrison, President and Chief Executive Officer, Northwestern Memorial HealthCare. "In these unprecedented times, our physicians, nurses and staff have continued to provide world-class, compassionate care while working to advance treatments, clinical research and understanding of this global pandemic."
Northwestern Memorial is nationally ranked in 11 out of 16 specialties and is high performing in all 10 procedures and conditions rated by U.S. News. Of the 11 nationally ranked specialties, four clinical programs at Northwestern Memorial are ranked among the top 10 hospitals in the country:
- Northwestern Memorial is ranked No. 5 for Neurology & Neurosurgery. "We're grateful to our colleagues and patients to be once again recognized as a top neurosurgery program in the nation. Our ranking reflects the international reputation of our physicians and highlights our ability to advance the science and care of neurosurgical patients," said Maciej Lesniak, MD, chair of neurological surgery at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. "As we continue to innovate in the treatment of neurological diseases, our team of physicians and scientists is developing new standards and treatments which are adopted around the world."
"We are proud to again be named among the top 5 neurology programs in the country," said Dimitri Krainc, MD, PhD, chair of neurology at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. "At the very core of our department's mission is the health and well-being of patients. We deliver on our mission through our educational programs, the delivery of outstanding clinical care and the development of new treatments made possible by promoting collaborative research."
- Northwestern Memorial is ranked No. 6 for Geriatrics. "Our continued recognition as one of the top geriatrics programs in the country is a celebration of the tireless physicians, nurses, social workers and staff who are driven by our shared goal of providing exceptional, age-appropriate care and psychosocial support to our older adult patients," said Lee A. Lindquist, MD, MPH, MBA, chief of geriatrics at Northwestern Memorial. "The recognition is particularly meaningful this year as our team works to keep seniors safe from the COVID-19 outbreak. We quickly pivoted from in-office appointments to tele-visits, as well as offering homecare visits, to keep our patients safely at home. Our team advises on the importance of planning and communicating health care wishes before needed so that our patients can make their own care decisions. We're also providing our partner long-term care facilities with physician coverage and infection prevention strategies to keep their vulnerable populations safe. We are proud of all our team has accomplished in helping to protect Chicago's older adult population from this virus."
- Northwestern Memorial is ranked No. 8 for Cancer. "We are honored to be ranked as one of the top eight cancer programs in the country. This recognition reflects the tireless efforts of our physicians, nurses, scientists and staff to transform cutting-edge scientific discoveries into state-of-the-art treatments," said Leonidas Platanias, MD, PhD, director of the Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center of Northwestern University at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. "We are united in our commitment to improve outcomes and set new standards of cancer care for our patients."
- Northwestern Memorial is ranked No. 10 for Cardiology & Heart Surgery. "We are pleased to see this recognition which has placed us among the top heart programs for six years, and especially grateful that every year we have received the highest survival score while treating patients suffering from advanced heart disease," said Patrick McCarthy, MD, chief of cardiac surgery at Northwestern Memorial Hospital and executive director of the Northwestern Bluhm Cardiovascular Institute. "Our team of Bluhm Cardiovascular Institute caregivers has performed at the highest level during the pandemic and they will appreciate that their sincere dedication to patient care was widely recognized. This acknowledges that this is a special place to work and care for the sickest patients."
"This year's recognition from the US News & World Report is special; this has been a year unlike any other yet once again, a top 10 Heart and Heart Surgery recognition comes our way, now for more than 5 consecutive years," said Clyde Yancy, MD, MSc, associate director of the Bluhm Cardiovascular Institute and Northwestern Memorial's chief of cardiology. "This is how we define excellence - resiliency, consistency, superior performance, a deep ethos of service and a gallant response to the call for help. There's no place I'd rather be, no other team I'd rather lead and certainly no better place to care for patients."
In addition to its top 10 programs, Northwestern Memorial was also nationally ranked in the following specialties: Diabetes & Endocrinology (No. 21); Ear, Nose & Throat (No. 26); GI & GI Surgery (No. 12); Nephrology (No. 13); Orthopaedics (No. 15); Pulmonology & Lung Surgery (No. 13); and Urology (No. 12). Northwestern Memorial was also recognized as High Performing in Rheumatology.
Northwestern Medicine hospitals were recognized in the following specialties:
- Northwestern Medicine Lake Forest Hospital in Orthopaedics (No. 38), Pulmonology & Lung Surgery (No. 40) and High Performing in GI & GI Surgery, Geriatrics and Nephrology, as well as in two procedures and conditions.
- Northwestern Medicine Central DuPage Hospital High Performing in Orthopaedics, as well as in all 10 procedures and conditions.
- Northwestern Medicine McHenry, Huntley, Woodstock Hospitals recognized as High Performing in four procedures and conditions.
To learn more about Northwestern Medicine, visit http://news.nm.org/about-northwestern-medicine.html.
View original content to download multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/northwestern-memorial-hospital-named-1-in-chicago-and-illinois-and-among-the-top-10-hospitals-in-the-nation-301101634.html
SOURCE Northwestern Medicine