With healthcare costs going up every year, it is imperative that every citizen have health insurance. Here are the biggest and the most well known health insurance providers from across the world.
10. Humana- It is one of the biggest healthcare insurance providers in USA, with more than 11 million members. Humana enjoys a sterling reputation among customers, and provides health insurance services in all 50 U.S. states, D.C., and Puerto Rico. Humana also has international business interests in Western Europe and Asia.
9. Allianz- One of the biggest insurance providers in the world, Allianz is a Germany company. It is well known for its international reach, and for providing international health insurance for employees. The company says that claims are processed within 48 hours, and that 95% of their clients renew with them.
8. AIA Insurance Group- This Hong Kong based pan-Asian group is offers a comprehensive range of health insurance plans ranging from medical, hospitalisation and long term care to critical illness. Basic critical illness plans in the market provide coverage for 30 common critical illnesses such as cancer, stroke, heart disease and kidney disease, and usually terminate after the first claim is made. The company also has plans that help compensate for lost income.
7. Aetna Foundation- USA’s Aetna Foundation is one of the most prominent healthcare insurance providers in the country. Aetna offers health care, dental, pharmacy, group life, disability, and long-term care insurance and employee benefits, primarily through employer-paid (fully or partly) insurance and benefit programs, and through Medicare.
6. Blue Cross Blue Shield- The Blue Cross Blue Shield Association (BCBSA) is a federation of 37 separate health insurance organizations and companies in the United States. Combined, they directly or indirectly provide health insurance to over 100 million Americans. In terms of number of people covered, BCBSA is one of biggest health insurance providers in the world, and also act as administrators of Medicare in many states or regions of the US.
5. Axa- Axa is one of the most well known and biggest health insurance providers working in the UK. The company provides a wide range of private medical insurance plans for individuals, families and businesses. Axa PPP Healthcare caters to the international market, and was the winner of best international private medical insurance provider in the UK’s 2012 health insurance awards. Axa is also well known in the Gulf region and has a strong presence in Asia.
4. Aviva- A British multinational, Aviva is the sixth-largest insurance company in the world measured by net premium income and has around 43 million customers across 21 countries. Aviva provides health insurance in countries like Ireland and India, and offers a number of unique benefits to its members like nurse on call, treatment of back and neck injuries and screening for various diseases.
3. United Healthcare- United Healthcare is an operating division of UnitedHealth Group, the largest single health carrier in the United States; and covers more than 7 million people. Apart from personal health insurance, United Healthcare also offers programmes for employers, and manages and facilitates UnitedHealthcare healthcare services for state-sponsored public and Medicaid programs and their beneficiaries.
2.Express Scripts- Express Scripts is an American company which provides integrated pharmacy benefit management service, benefit-design consultation; drug-utilization review; formulary management; and medical and drug data analysis services to manage drug plans for health plans, self-insured employers and government agencies; including the Department of Defence.
1. Zurich Insurance Group- As of 2013, Zurich Insurance Group was ranked as the 75th largest company in the world. Zurich Insurance Group is the biggest company working in Switzerland, and is well known for providing insurance for healthcare organizations; apart from personal healthcare for various demographic segments. Their plans vary around the world; and they also offer lifestyle plans, coverage for broken bones and fractures for seniors, holiday travel insurance, safeguard plans and ‘peace of mind’ plans, which safeguards a policyholder's current standard of living in case of redundancy, disability or Accident Death & Disability. Zurich Insurance Group also provides coverage for families; safeguarding them from financial difficulties caused by accidents, as well as Accident Death & Disability, accidental hospital income (senior care) and accidental medical expenses.